Friday, February 2, 2007

The best book I've read in quite awhile.



I just finished reading Dry, by Augusten Burroughs and I can't recommend this book enough!


I had read Running with Scissors awhile ago after hearing an interview with Mr. Burroughs on WITF (my local NPR station). I enjoyed Running with Scissors very much and wanted more when I got to the end. Thankfully, there was an excerpt from Dry at the end. Intrigued, I added it immediately to my list of books on hold from my local library.

Dry is the continuation of the memoir Burroughs began with Running With Scissors. In this continuation, Burroughs is on his own working in advertising and drinking himself into an early grave. His boss practically forces him into rehab which is, of course, not what he expected. Up until this point, I found the book interesteing but when Augusten returns from rehab and steps back into his old life, I became enthralled. There was a constant question in the back of my mind - will he or won't he? - and I never wanted to put the book down. I just had to know if he was going to fall off the wagon, so to speak. I will not tell you any more details because I really think that this is a book that everyone should read. The last half of the book is riviting and through his writing, I have truely come to care about this person that I have never met and probably never will.


Call your library today and put a copy on hold!

No comments: